Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Kittens

The kittens arrived on 4-26-10.  There are 3 fuzzy furballs of cuteness in our house now.  They are all girls, and all grey.  We can tell them - one has 4 white paws and is the biggest/fuzziest, one is all grey (she may have a little brown - we'll see as she gets bigger) and one is will be grey, tan and white.  All of them are so sweet.  Izzy has been a fabulous Mom.  She comes when they call, lays down and lets them drink.  I can tell she's concerned about them.  She's also starving...she keeps eating and eating.  I guess it takes a lot to nurse 3 hungry babies.  Bridget and Dillon are quite excited, however, I don't think they understand why the kittens can't play with them right away.  Bridget has said she could just sit and watch them all day.  Both are very careful when they pet the kittens...using one finger to gently rub their backs.  Last Saturday we were all down there and I think we must have overwhelmed Izzy a bit b/c Bridget, Dillon and I went down on Sunday morning and couldn't find the kittens.  Izzy had moved them to the front corner of the garage.  I was a bit beside myself, I couldn't see how she was able to feed them in such a small spot.  Brian and I put together the dog crate (leaving off the front door) and  put the shallow tub that the kittens had been in in the crate.  Then, we covered it with a blanket.  So far she seems happy with that - feels more sheltered.  And I've been careful not to overwhelm her with too many people at once.  Like Bridget, I could just sit down there with them all day...but as it is I go a few times a day to give Izzy more food and pet the sweet babies.  Once their eyes are all open and they are moving around more we'll bring them upstairs.  I just want to make sure they get the best start possible.
We don't know who the father is, but there were 2 cats hanging around when Izzy was in heat...and both were longer hair.  I read online that short hair kittens open their eyes 5-8 days after birth, and long hair 10-14 days after birth.  So far only the all grey kitten has started to open her eyes.  She started to open them yesterday...8 days after birth.  I have a feeling they are going to have longer hair.  The biggest one certainly is fuzzy! 
Here are some sweet pictures of our babies:
The day they were born:
2 days old:
3 days old:

4 days old:

No comments: